UFMCC’s Statement of Faith …
This is the simple declaration of what UFMCC believes, as stated in our By-Laws, and accepted by our General Conference: “Christianity is the revelation of God in Jesus Christ and is the religion set forth in the scriptures. Jesus Christ is foretold in the Old Testament, presented in the New Testament, and proclaimed by the Christian Church in every age and in every land.”
Founded in the interest of offering a church home to all who confess and believe, Metropolitan Community Churches moves in the mainstream of Christianity.
Our faith is based upon the principles outlined in the historic creeds: Apostles and Nicene.
- In one triune God, omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient, of one substance and of three persons: God – our Parent-Creator; Jesus Christ the only begotten son of God, God in flesh, human; and the Holy Spirit – God as our Sustainer.
- That the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God, showing forth God to every person through the law and the prophets, and finally, completely and ultimately on earth in the being of Jesus Christ.
- That Jesus…the Christ…historically recorded as living some 2,000 years before this writing, is God incarnate, of human birth, fully God and fully human, and that by being one with God, Jesus has demonstrated once and forever that all people are likewise Children of God, being spiritually made in God’s image.
- That the Holy Spirit is God making known God’s love and interest to all people. The Holy Spirit is God, available to and working through all who are willing to place their welfare in God’s keeping.
- Every person is justified by grace to God through faith in Jesus Christ.
What is the the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches?
We are a denomination founded by The Rev. Elder Troy Perry in 1968. The dream of this former Pentecostal minister was to create a Christian church in which every human being is welcomed and affrmed.
Everyone includes lesbian, gay, trans-, bi-, inter-sexed, and our heterosexual parents and friends. Forty plus years later, we have congregations in many countries around the world, including most large U.S. cities, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, the Philippines, South Africa, Nigeria, Eastern and Western Europe, and Australia. Water of Life MCC in Tucson is one of these 300+ congregations.
When Did Water of Life MCC Begin in Tucson?
The first MCC worship service in Tucson was held on December 12, 1970, by the Rev Ken Jones of Phoenix. Tucson business owner and licensed MCC Deacon /Russell Cerf was instrumental as he led the congregation in the early years.
The church met in various locations, including the Tucson Women's Club, the Little Chapel of All Nations, The Unitarian Church, The Truth Chapel Religious Science Center, and the Pima Friends Meeting House. Later, the church rented a facility on South StoneAvenue, and another building on South 10th Street. In 1991he congreagation purchased the facility at 3269 North Mountain Avenue, where the church continues to meet and worship today.
What Do We Offer You?
Water of Life MCC offers a safe harbor for those desiring an open and affirming Christian Church. We are a people from diverse Christian Denominations, educational backgrounds, races, economic realities, and sexual orientations, We are professionals, labores, retired, and students.
We offer a mainstream style worship service Suday mornings at 10:15 a.m. inclusive of congreagational singing, prayer, a sermon, special music, and the casrament of Holy Communion. As in every Metropolitan Community Church we invite every person to the table to commune with God. We try to provide something in worship which will resonate for the rainbow of Christian believers spanning the spectrum from Roman Catholicism to Pentecostalism.
We strive to offer inclusive language in worship which promises equality of all people. We use language expressing our understanding that God is more and greater than we humans can comprehend. We try to use non-gendered language when referring to God, encourage individuals to address God as they feel most comfortable, and use the multitude of sacred names used for God found in Scripture.
We offer different worship experiences on same Wenesday evenings, Bible studies, in depth studies on the issue of Homosexuality and the bible, "book studies" and other study/disussion/support groups. We have a dynamic choir who welcomes new members
If you are looking for a church home, we invite you to come........just as you are......to experience the gentle love of Jesus Christ present in our midst.......